Sunday 24 February 2013

An evening you can only dream of.........





In my top 5 of In Session Live evenings was last Sunday thanks primarily to the Van Susans but also because of Steph Stephenson and Matt Bentley.




What a perfect, perfect evening of stupendous talent and tunes.

Let me set the scene: Half term week was looming, so people were in and out of the Forum and we were starting to build a bit of momentum. The Van Susans had arrived earlier than anticipated.

How to describe Van Susans?- Professional, lovely, hard working. They had driven all the way from London for one night to play at In Session Live and had to then drive back the same night. We couldn't have asked for any more, well except that they be good at what they do. They were more than good at what they do.




I don't think my boss will mind me saying but after the band's first warm up and line test at the beginning of the evening, (which they got a random round of applause from the crowd for & proceeded to look very confused by) my boss then and there pounced on them to ask if they'd come back to be our guest band for the Yorkshire Unplugged finals. That's how good they are.





















Anyway, i shall depart, for a moment, from the Van Susan love in that this is turning into and talk a little about two other artists who I had not come across before but who are totally note worthy.








Steph Stephenson and Matt Bentley have an incredible dynamic on stage. They play both together and individually and I was so impressed with them both.







I especially enjoyed their song 'The King of Leeds' but there was something about Matt's individual performance which was very emotional and from the heart and I'd pay to see those guys again. You have to check them both out when you can.




So we were all extremely happy with Steph and Matt's performances and not knowing at that point what the Van Susans were going to add to the mix we were already having an enjoyable evening, boosted by the extra numbers of half term stragglers and people come to see our London based Van Susans.




......then they play. Yowsa!


 
 Its difficult to describe but we were mesmerised from start to finish in lyrical and rhythmic abundance. They were so together and their tunes so catchy, helped by Olley the lead singer having one unbelievable voice.









Let me tell you, I've been listening to their EP 'We could be Scenery' all week as well as assorted album songs from 'Paused in the Middle'. When I went to hang out with some of the guys from In Session Live last night I noticed they had the Van Susans playing in their car and it tuned out we'd all be hooked since Sunday. This doesn't happen often!





http://www.vansusans.com/
   (just sayin)

#ChaChaBang and #Plans a couple of my fave from the EP.







No comments:

Post a Comment